Grief is one of the hardest emotions. It's hard to experience and it's hard to know what to say to someone who's experiencing it. Here are some ideas of what to write in a greeting card for someone grieving.
To someone you don't know well:
- I am so sorry for your loss.
- I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers/ thoughts.
- I can't imagine what you're going through. Thinking of you.
To someone you know well:
- I'm here if you need anything.
- I know there isn't anything I can say to make this better but I'm here for you.
- I know that grief doesn't have a timeline. I'm here for you as long as you need.
To a close friend or loved one:
- I'm grieving with you.
- I have many wonderful memories with them. They'll really be missed.
- I know you have a lot going on at the moment. I just wanted to let you know that I'm here for you. Call out if you need anything at all.
- May God comfort you and keep you during this time of grieving.
- I don't have the words to bring comfort but I hope these words from Revelation 21:4 will: "He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away."
- I pray that you may receive a peace beyond understanding during this tough time.
I wish that these words didn't ever have to be used but in this world that we live in they sadly do. I hope that at least these words can help make an awful situation a little easier.